Guidelines and Expectations---(1)your blog post should be 250-500 words (do not exceed 500 words).
(2)your blog post should engage in conversation with the other bloggers. This means if you are NOT the first one to post you need to mention at least one or two of your peers’ responses in your entry i.e. you may agree or disagree with what someone else’s ideas of what good writing is. You need to cite this person in your response and note why you are citing this person (for example, Kara mentioned that good writing has three components, but I’m not sure I agree. I believe...). Don't forget to do this as it is part of the assignment.
(3) your blog post should respond to the following prompt: what is writing--the definitions, ideas, thoughts, expressions, etc--you associate w/ writing. What makes writing good to you? Who is an author or authors that supports your idea of "good" writing (don't just pick an author. think of ones that you have read that support your ideas)? What writing do you do or have you done in the past (i.e. school, work, pleasure, etc)? What type of writer do you see yourself as? By the end of this first blog post, I want you to come up with a definition of writing.
(4) your blog post is due by classtime on Tuesday, January 11, 2011.
Good writing, in my opinion, is being able to stir up some type of emotion in your audience. Whether the response is anger, happiness, hatred, love, or even disgust, you at least know you did your job as a writer. A writer who personifies this better than anyone I can think of is Marshall Mathers (a.k.a Eminem). His songs have been classified as racy by those who dislike what he raps about. On the other hand, kids our age seem to think he is a one in a million type of talent. As a writer your main goal is to express your feelings in a way that leaves the audience with no doubt of what your point of view is. Whether you hate Eminem or love Eminem, everyone knows what his views are. And that also separates good writing from amateur writing. Amateur writers just want their voice to be heard while good writers want their voice to be heard in a way that makes you either cringe or smile (either one is a victory). For example, in his song "The Way I Am" Eminem takes multiple stabs at the media in ways that make most people think he belongs in an insane asylum. It is that ability to create and stir up emotions in the audience that makes Marshall Mathers a good writer. Now I would never go as far as he goes to show my point of view to an audience, but when I do write I try to make it as real and authentic as possible. At the end of the day if you say what you really mean it is bound to stir up some type of reaction from someone because let's face it, no one thinks alike or believes in the same things. So what is writing? The ability to express yourself to an audience. What is good writing? The ability to express yourself in a manner that leaves the audience with some type of emotional opinion of what you had to say.
ReplyDeleteFor writing to be good I believe it has to paint a picture in someone’s mind, it has to keep a reader captivated, and as Javi said, it has to conjure up emotions within the reader. An author who I think is a really amazing writer, and someone who I really admire is Hunter S. Thompson, who wrote “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. “Fear and loathing in Las Vegas” goes beyond the call and duty of a “good” book and takes its audience through a thrilling ride of insanity using a blend of reality and non-reality to make readers question what is under the surface of the book. On the surface the book is a book about Hunter S. Thompson’s gratuitous use of psychoactive drugs, and his destruction of Las Vegas, but past that there is so much more. Past the surface of this book there is a story of a man’s anger and rage at the falsity of the American Dream, his complete separation from a reality which does not make sense to him, and the realization that his generation’s dream for a better tomorrow has been crushed. Hunter S. Thompson has heavily influenced me as a writer, he has helped show me that writing does not have to follow a linear direction but should flow in the way your emotions wants it to flow. I have written a few short stories and as such I see myself as a creative writer.
ReplyDeleteWriting in our culture today has become very diverse. It is seen in many different types of media that include newspapers, books, and advertisements, to simple informational pamphlets. It is both a tool and an art form. I agree with what Javy said that the writing has to inevitably create an emotional response, that is what makes it an art. It is used to depict knowledge and ideas, that is what makes it the tool. Where would our society be today if we could have not passed our prior experiences from generation to generation through writing. It can be traced back very far back in history. One of the most prestigious wealth of knowledge was the library of Alexandria that Alexander built from his conquests. Personally one of my favorite authors is Tim O'Brien, I have read his book "The Things they Carried." It is about an American platoon during the vietnam war including some of his own experiences. The book makes you feel what he felt and puts you in the situation. Nonetheless, the writing I mostly do is based on fact, not fiction. I see myself as a writer of ideals.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Javy in his opinion on what is good writing and whom he chose. He is right, good writing is having the ability to create an emotion and express that particular feeling throughout the entire novel such as fear or sadness. His example of Marshall Mathers (Eminem) was a perfect choice to write about. Eminem expresses different emotions in his songs and people can actually understand what he’s saying and how he is feeling with the words he expresses in his rap. His feelings are authentic and real and that’s what makes a piece of writing well. I also agree with Javy when he said, “Amateur writers just want their voice to be heard while good writers want their voice to be heard in a way that makes you either cringe or smile…” Good writers know what their audiences want to read about and know how to deliver the right reactions to their storylines; whereas amateur writers will write about how they are feeling and they just want someone to understand them. A good writer such as, Nicholas Sparks, gives you the ability to imagine the characters and paint a picture in your mind while reading the book. Writing to me is a way to express yourself and how you’re feeling. It’s an opportunity to let your feelings go and be able to write them all down in a blog or diary or what have you. Writing should be about what you feel at that exact moment and be able to not hold back.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion good writing is the author’s ability to catch the reader’s attention so much, that they are glued to whatever that piece of writing may be. Good writing keeps you on your toes and hanging on to the edge of your seat. I agree with Javy that it is being able to give off emotions to an audience whether it may be sad, happy, anger, or even disgust. I believe the best writing is non-fiction, because it is real and relatable. I also agree with Jared that our world would not be what it is today if it weren’t for the facts and biographies left behind for us to read and become knowledgeable about our history. I enjoy reading about real life stories that grab my attention, for example in Dave Pelzer’s book, “A Child Called “It”’, Dave recalls his childhood memories of being abused by his alcoholic mother. He tells his audience about his experiences of child abuse and gives his audience an idea of the emotions in which he felt, such as his disgust, hatred, sadness, and hopelessness towards his mother. I believe that good writing is the capability of one to be able to write down their true emotions and memories, to express themselves in hopes of painting a vivid picture in their audience’s mind and depicting their emotions towards them as well. I have written a few short stories about events in my life throughout school. I prefer to write about something that is real and has meaning and has the potential to be relatable to others.
ReplyDeleteTo me, writing comes in many forms. It can be as simple as writing a letter to your mother back at home while you are in college or as complex as writing a textbook for a graduate astrophysics course. It can be a first grader’s first paragraph, or an elderly person’s last. Writing is writing; there is no wrong or right way to do it. Writing is used in so many ways you don’t even think of. The newspapers, magazines, and books are all common everyday things that demonstrate a significant amount of writing. Good writing, however, is when an author is able to capture an audience’s interest through vivid details, but also incorporating their own emotions in a mature fashion. I agree with Beth when she said “good writers know what their audiences want to read about and know how to deliver the right reactions to their storylines” because this is how they capture interests. This attribute tied with respectful emotions is vital in good writing. An example of a good writer is Ray Bradbury. In Fahrenheit 451, especially, he conveys such rich emotions from the characters in the book, but also is very descriptive which captures the reader’s interests. In the past, I have written countless essays and papers. Many of these have been analytical. In an analytical essay, you have to pick apart the subject you are writing about, and make a statement that you feel is true. You must back this statement up using details and show your opinion as to why you feel it is true. Writing should be utilized in many ways- writing your feelings, for persuasion, or for pleasure. All of these can be done in a “good writing” style. It is up to the author to write in a way to attract its audience, and good writers master this skill beautifully.
ReplyDeleteI believe writing is the ability to thoroughly convey ones thoughts and feelings in written form. Continuing on Javy’s position, good writing creates an emotional response within the reader. An author that I feel captures both of these elements is Chuck Palahniuk. Many of you may know him from one of his previous novels and the film, Fight Club. Palahniuk’s ability to instill fear, happiness, sadness, excitement, etc. through his writing allows him to keep the readers attention throughout all scenes within the novel. By keeping the readers alert, he can reveal his underlying message within the text. His skill in writing is evident in, Rant, the current novel that I am reading which is an oral biography of a high school rebel, Casey Rant, who desires to escape from his small town home for the big city. Palahniuk is just one of many talented authors whom I am influenced by. Rather than focusing on just a small number of authors, I hope to gain inspiration from a wide variety of novelists. From Shakespeare to Faulkner, I plan to read and study the works of these authors to further my development in writing so that I can establish the type of writer I am. Currently, I am unsure of this subject. However, with a clear definition of what it means to be a writer, I am confident that I will discover what type of writer I am. Though good literature may present itself as an opinion, I conclude that someone who can purposefully and thoroughly express their thoughts in a fluent and meaningful form can be defined as a good writer.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Madison in that writing is something that has different meanings to different people. While one person will tell you its merely a tool to rely a message to another, someone else might see writing as a form of art; they are both correct. As Jared said, writing today has become very diverse indeed, though not only in media, but also in our everyday lives. Ranging from simple writings, such as writing E-mails or directions, to writing more creatively and artistically such as poetry or lyrics. To be a good writer, however, as Javi said, one must stir up emotion in the reader, but I would also like to add that a good writer makes the reader think for himself/herself. Personally, I am a more artistically inclined writer. I enjoy poetry or metaphor rich writings as they can be bent and twisted to affect people differently depending on what they want to see.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite writer is the famous violinist, Emilie Autumn. She writes metaphor heavy songs and poetry. Now she is also the author of, “The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls,” a book about today’s insane asylums and how they really haven’t changed much since the Victorian area. She uses her experience and excerpts from when she was institutionalized to give the audience a first person view to how asylums today are still designed to contain and imprison its patients rather than attempt to cure them. This is definitely a book I would recommend to anyone interested in a good read.
What is writing? I think that we all have different interpretations when it comes to answering this question. To some people writing is something that is mandatory or unenjoyable; while others have made writing a part of their lives. For instance, I have recently read a couple of stories by John Cheever. Writing to him is his life. The way he writes his stories and chooses the words that he uses shows us his passion for writing. I really feel that I can relate to his writing because I love how he has meaning to his stories, he uses isolation as a theme for a couple of them and to me that is something that really catches my interest. While I write about how much I enjoy Cheever’s writing, others may disagree with me. Everyone has their own interpretations on what writing really is and what certain things must be in writing in order to make it great. Luc F says that writing has to paint a picture in someones mind. This is so important because in order to understand writing, you need to be able to imagine it and feel the emotions going through the characters. I have had to demonstrate this through my own writings at school. I have had to write several types of papers that some I have enjoyed writing and others that I felt completely forced to write them. I have felt forced writing those papers because I did not have any passion about the topic. Having a great topic when writing a paper is extremely important because if you show in your paper your understanding and passion, then the reading will be able to pick up on that and feel your emotions. I ask myself again, what is writing? Writing is passion. Writing is a form to get out what you want to say. Writing is a way to express yourself. Writing is what makes you be you.
ReplyDeleteWriting by all means comes in a ton of different forms, which many of you have pointed out so far. With all those different forms of writing come a multitude of genres. In my opinion, the definition of good writing molds to each genre. In an attempt to generalize a definition for good writing I feel it is simply the successful expression of the author’s thoughts and or ideas. I agreed with Jonny, when they said that writing is the ability to thoroughly convey ones thoughts and feelings in written form. I couldn’t have said it better. People write with different motives. Some write to inform and others write to entertain. Javy and others say writing is to evoke emotion. I have to partially disagree and say that good writing doesn’t always have to evoke emotion from the audience. If an important message is successfully conveyed through words, then that is good writing in my opinion. An author who’s solid from my point of view is Oprah. I’m not saying I like her or agree with her but she has a powerful way with words. She writes with a very distinctive voice and lets her message come through. As far as writing that I’ve done, it’s all in school stuff. Basically, writing to me is more of a term by term thing. Depending on your goal with the individual work, good writing can be defined in a moldable way.
ReplyDeleteWriting is a form of expression, used in many places throughout life. It’s mainly used as a means of entertainment in books, movies, music, magazines, and many others. But it can also be used as an outlet of releasing feelings that you don’t feel like you can discuss with anyone else. Good writing is engaging and always leaves you wanting more. I agree with Javy, writing is a tool that is focused on creating some type of emotional response what would be the point of writing if everyone has the same views and opinions? Also, the Eminem example was excellent. Eminem definitely says what he wants, how he wants and makes it a point to get his opinion out there. He is so passionate about the things he believes, and I believe that has a lot to do with good writing, I feel as if it is a necessity. If you aren’t passionate about something how are you going to get someone else to care about it? Cecily von Ziegesar is one of my favorite authors, she wrote the “Gossip Girl” series and she always kept me on my toes. I felt like I couldn’t put her books down when I was reading them. She had such a way with suspense from one book to another that kept you intrigued and I believe that is good writing. In my past I’ve done mostly writing for school, but I see myself as an informative writer. My goal is to do some form of sports writing and keep everyone up to date on what is happening in the world of sports, hopefully for ESPN.
ReplyDeleteWriting is obviously one of the most common ways of communicating in today’s society. It evolves over time whether it changes from expressing deep emotions and thoughts or writing a professional document. For many, writing comes as a hobby and for some writing can be a stressful activity that your professors never fail torture you with. Either way writing is a way of life that is practiced by most all over the world; its a way of sharing ideas with others, a catalyst that’s ready to start up the deep emotions that are rarely brought to the surface. I agree with Javy when he mentions that there are many responses that are sought out from your audience with writing, whether its happiness, hatred, love, or sadness. As a writer your main goal is to share your emotions with the audience as if they were interacting with the situation first hand. I personally think no matter how many grammar rules there are there is never a “wrong or bad” way of writing. Writing itself should be an oversized megaphone used to share your voice with those around you and show your individuality. I think Ayn Rand practiced “good” writing and did a fantastic job portraying the loss of individuality in our society. Her novella, The Anthem was a story about a futuristic society lost in collectivism that banned any sort of individualism. Through the main character of the book, Rand shows the hunger for individualism from a rebel that discovers words such as “I” and “me”. This story is unbelievably moving. Rand’s style of writing throws emotions at you in ways that makes you understand “good” writing. I also agree with Madison’s opinion about Ray Bradbury who is the author of another favorite book of mine, Fahrenheit 451. There is such strong diction in Bradbury’s writing style that the plot is rich with intense emotions. Although there are many grammar rules that judge “good” writing, I believe that “good” writing only comes from the deepest of ones emotions.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Madison about how writing comes in all forms. Lyrics in songs, movies scripts, essays, letters, and novels are just to name a few. There's always going to be good writing and bad writing, but people have to decide that on their own. Good writing to me is being able to picture the whole story in my head, instead of just seeing words in a book. Good writing to me in a movie, is being able to stay awake for it. If it keeps me intrigued and I don't want the book, song, or movie to end, then that's good writing. Writers who express themselves and have passion are good writers. One person who I feel is a great writer is Taylor Swift. Yes, most of her songs are love stories, but not all of them are. So many people can relate to her writing with their own personal experiences. Taylor puts so much emotion into her songs and that's what gets people hooked. I also agree with Dominique about having passion when you write. Throughout school, I've always felt forced into writing about things I have no interest or passion about, and that has made it hard for me to write. If I had to be any type of writer I would like to write articles in glamour magazines such as Vogue or Elle. Good writing to me is simply having great ideas, emotions, passion and the ability to connect with the audience on all different levels.
ReplyDeleteWriting can be described in many different ways, some may express it by writing a song others may find it more entertaining to write a script but for many good writing is just a way to express and show your feelings about a certain topic in your own words. I agree with Ben when he mentions that people write with different motives, that there is no set definition for good writing. Good writing to me is being able to write something that you as a person enjoy in doing. Thats why many students are better when they are writing about something they enjoy about, I feel that is when you will get the a students best work. Also I agree with kayla when she mentioned that you have to have passion when your writing a good novel, or a script. i believe that good writing is not something that someone grades you on or an essay that you write just to get by in class. Good writing to me is something that you put passion into, an essay or song that you not only put your ideas and imagination into but also to express what is really on your mind. Two of my favorite authors of all time have been Tupac and J cole, the way they use words, topics, and emotions to write poems and lyrics about there lives and the lives of other is to me what good writing is all about because of the passion that they put into there work. When it comes down to it everybody has there views on what good writing is, to me its about how you express your feelings into words and images in order to leave an impression on the readers.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Javy in that good writing must be able to provoke some sort of emotion within an audience. When an audience's emotions are put into play, the writer has succeeded in grabbing their attention. Think about some of the best movies you have seen. I can almost guarantee that those movies stirred up multiple emotions within you. A writer that consistently achieves this is Christopher Nolan. (A director, screenwriter and producer) His most recent movie, "Inception", takes the audience through a roller coaster of different emotions. Whether it be love, joy, fear, surprise or sadness, it is inevitable that Nolan will draw out some type of emotion. In addition, Nolan is constantly making the audience think. He is always playing games with the mind which also contributes to making him a good writer. Most of the writing that I have done has been through schooling. I have never been the type to just write for pleasure, so almost all the writing I have done has basically been to maintain a good grade. If I had to classify myself as one type of writer, I would say that I am an informative writer. If good writing had a single definition, I would say that it must engage the audiences heart and/or brain by eliciting multiple emotions and/or making the mind continuously wonder.
ReplyDeleteThe definition of good writing is not necessarily a concrete thing. Javy pointed out that good writing must evoke emotion and Ben said it is simply the successful expression of an author’s thoughts and/or ideas. While reading each blog I agreed with every definition given for good writing. I finally decided that in my very far from professional opinion that good writing is expressing thoughts clearly so that the reader finishes with a sense of awe. John Steinbeck is my favorite example of this. No matter what the topic is he manages to describe every detail of his story flawlessly, as if he were really there and an expert in every field. The most writing I have done has been solely for school. I don’t believe I possess any of the characteristics described by the proceeding blogs. However, I enjoy writing letters. I have written more letters than I’d ever admit to. I still have some letters in my possession that have never been sent. Letters are my personal favorite because you can capture all your thoughts on one paper, no one can interrupt you, and you have time to brainstorm thoughts and ways to convey certain emotions. The main reason I love letters is because what you write in a letter is golden and holds a place in time. No matter what happens post -writing it, the letter doesn’t lie.
ReplyDeleteWriting to me is bringing forth emotions and putting them on paper. It’s a form of expression and a way of communications. It’s used to express ideas and thoughts. Writing can be and is a part of everyday life. Writing should be so good that you take trips and see monuments in your imagination. A good writing makes you think and leaves you wanting more. It should make you fall in love with that jock or highly dislike the mean girl. I agree with Luc F, to be good writing it has to captivate the audience and moves souls. A writer I really like is William Shakespeare, he takes you on a ride and when you return you’re not the same. "Romeo and Juliet" is one of the most interesting and earth moving pieces that he has written. He took you on a ride and at the end your kind of a different person. I can still see how people can relate to “Romeo and Juliet” and it’s been centuries , that to me is amazing itself. I really don't have much experience in writing however I have written poetry in high school and sometimes we had short stories as assignments. Poetry was a way for me to confess how I feel and communicate to the world what I couldn’t say in a normal conversation. If I were to categorize myself I would say I rarely write. I would consider myself inexperienced when it comes to writing however when I do write I would say it is motivational writing.
ReplyDeleteWhen we pick up a book we are reading to escape the real world and to enter into our imaginations. Lately our society focuses on the visual things; they paint the picture for you leaving you no room for thoughts or ideas. But words on a paper leave you the room to imagine your perception of the place or the person and the author is the one to aid you in this. I agree with Javy when he says the author needs to evoke emotions and feelings into the writing I also agree with Jackie when she says author also need to paint a picture in your head. Personally I don’t read a lot of books but when I do I want it to be interesting, I want to not be able put the book down because I want to know what happens next. And also for me reading is relaxing to just sit there and let my mind wonder so I want an author who can do that. When I think of these criteria I think of Meg Cabot, she isn’t a formal writer but in her books she uses such descriptive words to really let you see what she is imagining. I have never read a book from her and thought “I can’t visualize this”. I don’t necessarily think you have to the most well-known author to achieve this. As long as you know how to use words to their maximum potential anyone is capable of it.
ReplyDeleteI associate writing with any and all forms of written words; whether that be in a letter, email, note to self, magazine, novel, newspaper, you name it. I agree with all of you in many aspects, especially Johnny in that writing is being able to “convey ones thoughts and feelings in written form.” I would also like to add that reporting on events is another form as well. I can appreciate all writers, published in a novel or not. I like to visually picture what I read and therefore am a fan of J.K. Rowling. Yes, I said it, the author of Harry Potter! I can remember the burning desire of continuing to read even though I was exhausted through each and every book of Rowlings'. I once bet a friend on who could read a book the fastest and I won of course. I actually even became teary-eyed in the Half-Blood Prince when Dumbledore died. I have yet to find a series that captivated me as much but I can easily admit I have not tried to by any means. On another note, I find the singer/song writer John Mayer absolutely brilliant. His lyrics inspires me in every way imaginable. He discusses an array of topics such as love, relationships, clarity, war, break ups, make ups, and dreaming in such ways that each word feels relatable to me and my very own life.
ReplyDeleteFor two years in high school I was apart of the newspaper staff, here I worked my way up to become the fashion editor where I had my own column. To grab the readers attention I reported on trends that were relevant at the time for not only girls, but boys too and I included humor. I have also written multiple articles for the paper discussing topics about the community, student government, politics, and sports. Last semester in ENC1101 I did not choose to write about your average topics in essays assigned, instead I wrote about the struggles in middle school of finding myself, the degrading aspect Playboy has on women, and I compared and contrasted two Nike commercials. I find myself commonly wanting to use fragmented sentences writing as if I was back in the fashion column days. I believe I enjoy writing in first person the most, using my opinions about controversial topics while including a great amount of sarcasm and wit. My definition of writing is simply expressing ones thoughts or facts about a matter, whether that be fictionally or not. The capabilities of writing are endless and there is no wrong or right.
Writing is a form of expression that is not done physically, but instead placed on some form of documentation in order to communicate thoughts, ideas, and feelings. It is, most of the time, original and very creative. Some forms may be informative, persuasive, and merely written for one’s entertainment. I like the way Jonny Muench defined writing. He stated that it is the “ability to thoroughly convey ones thoughts and feelings in written form.” I believe writing is one of the most important aspects that can make someone successful; and without it life would be ten times more difficult than it already is. Writing is also a skill that is inborn, or mastered through many different drafts and critiques. It may not be effective if there is not careful thought put into it. Writing is what gets me through most of my day, whether I am on Facebook, emailing a professor, or merely writing an essay for a grade. Like Aaron Cribb and many other college students stated, writing is a form of expression. Elizabeth George is an American author that writes many inspirational novels for women. I believe she is the epitome of my definition of “good” writing. She does an excellent job at catching her readers’ attention and directly relating her topics towards her audience. Her use of rhetorical devices, diction, and tone all come together in order to express her feelings and thoughts. While I am definitely not as good of a writer as George, I know that I am capable of doing the same and write to express my feelings, or argue about my views. In the past I have written many essays for class, college applications, and poems. I see myself on the more creative side of writing, which is writing poems. I like to express myself freely. The rhyming and timing fit me so finely.
ReplyDeleteGood writing is the type of writing that you pick up and cannot put down. You long for that good book like you do for that ex-boyfriend or girlfriend that you are still in love with, that you can’t stop thinking about. A good writer has effectively mastered the art of conveying their message to the reader, giving the reader full access to their thoughts creating a connection as if the reader was experiencing all the same things as the themselves. Like Beth Parker I agree with Javy who used Marshal Mathers also known as Eminem as his example of a good writer. I think Eminem is a good writer because of his ability to draw upon his emotions and memories and transform them into a ballad. I personally believe that J.K. Rowling is an excellent writer. In her world renowned Harry Potter series Rowling was able to paint portrait and every page of these books was her canvas. Rowling is such a good writer because she has a remarkable imagination, but the difference between an expert writer like Rowling and an Amateur is Rowling can writes well enough to keep an adult entertained with her series but a small child could still read J.K. Rowling’s work and be able to understand the ideas she is expressing. Like every art form good writing should first and foremost be about a connection between individuals, a form of communication that has the ability to transcend the problems and misunderstandings that plague the human experience.
ReplyDelete