Monday, February 14, 2011

The Good, the bad, the ugly

For this blog post, please provide a detailed update of your research--the process, the findings, the writing, etc...that includes what is going well, what isn't, what needs to be done, what you like, what you don't like, how the writing process is going, feelings towards creating an inquiry-based research essay, etc. Basically, I'm looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly.

This is due by Tuesday, February 22 8:00am otherwise it will be considered late.

Guidelines: 250-500 words; engage with your peers.

PS. If you can't write this post or if you only have "bad" or "ugly" comments...you are way behind in your research and better hope for a miracle. ;-)

21 comments:

  1. The good, the bad and the ugly of what has been done to my paper are finally revealing themselves. The good of my paper so far has been me finding time to finish all of my observations and already complete one of my interviews. I have been able to find several sources to use for my paper by looking online. The bad, what what still needs to be done is my final interview with a police officer. I also still need to find sources from scholarly journals and magazines. Finding these will require much more time than what it has taken me to find my online resources. To find these, I first need to figure out which magazines and journals could provide me with the information that I need and I will begin to look in those. Throughout this research paper, what I like so far about this is getting to see for myself what people actually think about my topic instead of me just reading about it and having to learn from that. I also like the experiences that this is giving me. One thing that I don’t like about this process is the time that it takes up. I keep positive about this because I know in the end it will all be worth the time and research that it has taken me. Other than that, once I begin with my actual writing, I think it will go very smoothly because I will already have everything I need to write my paper which will make it that much easier for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is a classic western that everyone should see in my opinion, Much like The Great Train Robbery. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of my paper, however, have nothing to do with the movies.
    The Good of my paper is first and foremost that my interest in the topic is not fading what-so-ever. That being said, other major “Good” of my paper would be the abundance of available information regarding such a major issue, including FSU’s own research from the college of medicine regarding depression.
    The Bad is my severe struggle to find a good way to create a successful observation related to depression. Seeing as most depressed people try not to show it in public, or even worse, try to avoid going into public in general, creating a SUCCESSFUL observation is something I have still not succeeded in. As such, if anyone has a good idea, I would very much appreciate input.
    The Ugly would most definitely represent my bad habit of procrastination. As soon as the matter comes down to doing something homework related that requires me to actually take initiative and contact people I have a really bad habit of forgetting that others schedules might be extremely busy.
    What I like about this paper so far is that I get an excuse to do extensive research on a topic of interest. Generally im a curious person, but I have a tendency to make excuses so I don’t get around to doing stuff I’d otherwise actually like to do. On the downside I’m not a fan of the interview/observation part of the assignment. I much more enjoy taking straight information from books and websites which leaves nothing to interpretations. My biggest reason for this is that an interpretation leaves facts up to debate as one person’s interpretation might differ from another person’s interpretation. Also, just like Dominique explains, I’m not a fan of the abundance of time it takes up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good, bad, and the ugly, of my paper is pretty distinct so far. The good thing about my paper is that there is a lot of research that has been done on my topic so many facts are out there to research. Having doctors do study on this product is very helpful because most of the medical and educational websites have a lot of knowledge. Also, it is a very common topic throughout our society so it is very interesting to see what everyone has to say about it. When I search different blogging websites or places that have ratings and comments, it really puts myself beyond the looking glass because I can see the reaction of the people who are living that lifestyle. I have always been fascinated about this topic so it is the closest to “fun” I can get while writing a research paper. The bad is that it is hard to find people who will openly discuss their lifestyle because although it has become very popular in our society, it is still somewhat of a taboo for many to walk around and flaunt their secret lifestyles. Because of this secrecy, it is very hard to find people who would let me interview them and get more research that goes past the stereotypical assumptions of our society. Finally, the ugly I say would be taking all of the information I got from all of my sources and combining it into a long research paper that flows and still keeps the audiences attention. I have few ideas of relating it to my audience so well see how that will go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like Dominique…the good the bad and the ugly of my paper are finally showing their colors. Frustration and noisiness are the biggest concerns for me. In order for me to research, I need a quiet place, such as Strozier Library. However, I can’t escape the noisiness of everybody and their mother in the area I’m sitting in. Also, using the Internet for sources, typing in what I want to find into Google or Bing and the exact same web pages popping up onto my laptop screen. I suppose you can call that the bad. The ugly? While looking in borders to find books on same-sex marriage because possibly some author has to have some kind of history or information about it. Definitely not. So most of my research now is Internet based instead of book-based. Which isn’t terrible but I would have preferred to gather almost all of my information from looking through books and jotting down the information on my note cards. But there is a good! Surprisingly there is a good in finding my research on same sex marriage! There is a lot of information and many different reliable sources that I can use in my paper. I have about 4 different sources so far while researching. The interview also was a success. I wasn’t able to interview Rick Scott, but I got the second best, the Chairman of the College of Republicans who is a friend of mine and was willing to let me interview him after a meeting. The observation hasn’t happened yet only because the only Gay night at Club Rehab is Friday and it was just newly opened so I must go this coming Friday and get my observations. I do have an alternative however. So basically I have a lot of research, my interview completed, and no observations. I like the inquiry-based research paper because I learn a lot about my topic and find things that I didn’t know about it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good, the bad, and the ugly, these terms realize how incomplete my paper is but I still have faith since I have a lot of research done. So far on the good terms I have quite a lot of research done, with books such as Phikal, and Lifting the Veil: A Review of the History, Clinical-Usage andSafety of LSD, Ibogaine and MDMA in a Psychotherapeutic Context, and with many websites already under my belt I feel as if I have quite a lot of research done. I also interviewed a good friend of mine about his PTSD so that also very much helps because then I have a first-hand perspective on the disease itself. The bad as of right now is that I still haven’t secured my interview with the MAPS creator or any of the psychology professors at FSU, I would also want to interview maybe a few of the philosophy professors at FSU to see how they feel about the ethics of such a project. Sadly though I have begun my first draft and I am three paragraphs in but I am having a very hard time organizing my thoughts. I picked a very liberal topic so I do not know where to begin and I am also having trouble not putting in my opinion in the paper, thankfully though I feel as though that it will come together on the second or third draft, usually my first draft is sloppy as is so I don’t think this paper is in anyway an exception. Saying that though I feel as though I am very on top of this research paper and I defiantly will be able to produce the kind of paper I want to produce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The good of my paper is that I have done a significant amount of research overall, and there is what seems like an infinite amount of information on my topic. I have a variety of sources to work with that are all contributing to the start of a good paper. Another good thing of this paper is that it is easy to write about. Being able to pick your own topic really eases the entire writing process and makes the paper much more enjoyable to write. The bad of my paper is what I still need to accomplish. The chiropractor I had in mind to interview was unavailable during the only time that I could reach him. So I will have to find an alternative chiropractor or maybe conduct the interview over the phone. Since the chiropractor I was going to interview is also the same chiropractor I was going to observe, I will need to figure out a different way to make observations. For the ugly, I have to agree with Kyra that it is taking all the different information and combining it into a lengthy research paper that still flows and holds the audiences attention. Creating a seven to ten page research paper alone is a very time consuming process. Making sure that those seven to ten pages flow and hold the audience's attention throughout is just ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The good, the bad and the ugly defines my paper perfect. There are a lot of goods that come with my topic but at the sometime a lot of bad things. The good thing about my paper is that it is a topic that I am very interested in and have found my self doing countless hours of research for my topic.Also I have found out that my topic is very easy to research because a lot of people have the same views as I do and realize how big of an impact rap music does have on society. For example I found an article that really opened my eyes it was called Music and The influence on society. I liked this article because it was not like many of the articles and books I found, it was different. It talked about the positive that rap has done to our society. Now the bad things about my paper is that my interviews are not to where they need to be and also I am still thinking of ways to reorganize all my information so that my paper has the right flow and my readers can comprehend with the evidence on my paper. In addition what I like about my paper is how I started off my research paper by basically explaining what rap music is and the differences between rap artist and there music. What I don't like about my paper is that my interviews are very weak and also my observations are not up to par on where I want them to be. I really want to observe how rap music has affected different cultures, communities, classes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Currently my paper definitely contains the good, the bad, and the ugly. So far my research is the good part. I have all of the necessary sources to complete my paper. Ranging from scholarly journals to novels, I have read upon much concerning the effect social networking sites place on society. Though the process is lengthy, I enjoy every minute of it because I am researching a topic that I am truly passionate about rather than composing a forced essay. Though at times I feel it may be harder to write an essay that one is more passionate about because you truly want to paper to convey you innermost feelings. When this is not accomplished, it can largely sway the mood and soundness of my paper. The bad part of my paper is the interview. I hadn’t received a single response to my thirty plus emails that were sent out until yesterday. This was actually the ugly part, but then it switched around on me. I have proposed to schedule a meeting with a sociology professor tomorrow sometime between the times of 11am and 8pm. Hopefully, I can complete a thorough interview with the professor to supplement my research and piece my work together. So that leaves one part left, the ugly. The ugly part of my paper is actually writing the paper itself. Although I have begun the paper, I have nowhere near the amount required to call it a complete essay. However, I hope that by completing my interview tomorrow, I may be permitted to complete much more on this essay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My research paper is going pretty well. I am finding a lot of sources that support my topic. There are a lot of credible websites online, and it is my job to pick the best out of each of them. I am very interested in my subject which makes it a little less boring. That consists of the good aspects of the process of my paper. On the other hand, I have been going to the library to find some books, journals, or anything for my research paper. It is quite difficult to find sources at Strozier Library based on my topic. That is the bad aspect of my research paper process. I call this bad because I know that I just have to look a little harder. If I dedicate my visit to the library strictly to search for more sources I know I will find something. The ugly is my interviews. For my paper I have chosen two people that I would like to interview. The only problem is that it is kind of difficult to reach them since they are both busy. One of them is a doctor. His name is Tim Williams and he is either constantly traveling or in the process of doing surgery. I really want to interview him because I feel like he is a strong source. He can provide me with a lot of information that will allow me to transfer on my paper in order to make my paper knowledgeable. The other person I want to interview is a student who is planning on going to medical school. He is also always busy, with homework, papers, and applications. I feel like this is the ugly component of my paper. It is vital that I get these interviews done in order to feel much more confidant about my paper. Reading my classmates blogs, I feel a lot more confident seeing that I am not the only one who is having little issues with the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The good, the bad, and the ugly definitely describe the writing process for this inquiry based research paper!! The good is I have found some good sources, they will supply with me necessary details to complete this paper. I also am really excited about my interviews. Along with interviewing a manager from the Jacksonville Suns I also have two interviews from two really good friends that are at training camp in Tampa with the Yankees right now. So that provides me with a direct relation to the topic of my paper. The bad, just writing this paper in general 7 to 10 pages without seeming kind of one sided and with my opinion is becoming difficult because this is something that I am passionate about. But for the ugly I definitely agree with Brandon, 7 to 10 pages and keeping an audience engaged may be difficult if my audience does not care about my topic.
    Writing an inquiry based paper, has definitely been interesting, having to find so many sources and reading through all of this information has taught me a lot of information that I was not previously aware of, and it has made me even more interested in my topic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My research for my research paper has had many good, bad, and ugly moments. My favorite of the three options, obviously is the good. Thankfully, I have chosen a topic with tons of information online, as well as common to most people. Interviews are easy to come by due to the fact that majority of students are facebook users, with a dramatic story of their online use to tell. Statistics about cyber bullying are abundant because of the growing trend and spread of social awareness. The articles we were just assigned to read about Mark Zuckenberg gives me a good basis as to why such a network was created, obviously not with malicious intent as some of my research as pointed to. On to the bad part of my research, it has been challenging beginning to apply my research to my paper. I’m having difficulties building my paper in a solid direction, because of difficulty connecting ideas. Unto the ugly, like noted in class I has interviews with those who like to talk, as well as those you provided nothing helpful in the least. This became discouraging as a “researcher” and I felt as if I had wasted my time. Along with all that ugliness, I came across some unpleasantness. The sad stories of young teens taking their own lives due to online bullying has me seriously concerned with society. The increase of these severe cases has me not wanting to continue on with such research, as well as desiring to deactivate my facebook account.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The good of my paper is that I've found a lot of research on it. My topic is interesting to me and that's what is keeping me on task. Like Jonny says, I enjoy writing a topic I like rather than a forced essay. I also know that this topic is interesting to other people because there are shows about it on TV. I have my 4 sources, including the internet, library journals, and a book. Another good thing about researching my topic is finding so many organizations that actually help animals that have been abused due to animal hoarding which makes me feel so much better. My observation went great. The bad is the fact that I'm finding it impossible to find a psychology professor I can interview that knows about the psychological aspect of animal hoarding. I even tried to find psychologists online I can call and interview but none of them had "hoarding" as one of their fields. Other than that I just need to combine everything and actually start writing my paper. The hardest part about writing this paper is keeping my opinion out of it. I have a strong opinion about animal hoarding and I don't want it to show through my paper. What I'm not looking forward to is spending most of my time at Stroz. A 7-10 page research paper is very time consuming and is difficult to keep the audience hooked. Along with this paper I have two other papers due all on the same day. That's the ugly truth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The good, the bad, and the ugly are all possible components that may appear at one point in time during the process of a research paper. So far I believe I have all three. The good being the observations I have made, being the people I have watched to see whether any of them stopped to smoke or not. I saw smokers sitting right outside Strozier library, I would have asked for an interview but I was crunched for time and was doing something for another class simultaneously. I have also interviewed non-smoking Florida State students and asked them how they feel about smokers around them and smoking in general. I then asked them if they had ever encountered smoking on campus and if it was an annoyance to them or not. I also have found sources online that support my research question and I intend to use them, however the bad part is that I have not found any other sources other than online. I have not found any books that support my research question. I will have to search more to find at least one. Then there is the ugly part. I have not found or had an interview with an official that is involved with the smoking policy on campus. So other than everything else, I think the process of my findings and research have been going smoothly and according to plan, except for the bad and the ugly. Once I get those figured out and crossed off my list, my paper will be a piece of cake to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The good, the bad, and the ugly pretty much defines how my research has gone so far. The good happens to be that I know a ton of information off the top of my head about my topic- whether or not there should be a playoff system in College Football. So as far as developing a thesis and gathering information goes, I am pretty much set. The bad is without a doubt trying to find sources outside of newspaper writers and ESPN analysts. I am kind of out of luck when it comes to finding a source from a book or from an academic journal. The ugly of my paper is a combination of Kyra and Beth. I can’t seem to find a good observation to be able to tie in to the theme of a playoff system in College Football. Although I had the idea of observing the playoff system that high school football and Division II College Football have, it would be a little difficult to observe those personally due to the fact that both of their seasons are over. Since then I have looked but have yet to find an observation that is able to fit into my research paper. I also have Kyra’s problem of trying to find a way to fit all of that information into a paper that can somehow still flow together and keep the audience’s attention. I consider myself a good writer when it comes to being creative, but I have yet to find a way to mix creativity with factual information in an organized manner that still makes sense to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The good, the bad, and the ugly for the research of my paper is not by any means where it should be. As of now the bad and ugly drastically out way the good, as Andreas mentioned as well in his post. I find it quite comforting to know I am not the only student in this boat.
    Beginning with the positive point of the good, I believe the good parts of my research is the fact that I picked a strong subject to explore. I have found quite a few solid websites to support my paper. I find myself very passionate about the topic of marriage which will make writing my paper that much easier since I will enjoy it. I also at least observed the older couple on valentine’s day that I spoke about in the “story” we had to write for a previous assignment.
    Now for the bad, I need to focus on what exactly I want to narrow my research down to. There are so many benefits out there to marriage that I am having difficulty in deciding specify what I want to write about.
    For the ugly, I consider the word ugly as worse than bad, so prepare yourself for what you are about to read. I have yet to have emailed the professor here at FSU that I wanted to interview, which means I have not even interviewed her yet. I have also slacked in the aspect of that I wanted to go to the mall and interview the employees of places like Jared and Kay to ask them about their sales in wedding rings and such.
    With all of that said, I plan on emailing the professor tomorrow and scheduling a time to interview her during her office hours. I also will go to the mall on wednesday if time permits to interview the employees. I believe all in all my research paper will turn out to be one of the best papers I have ever written, if not the very best which is my goal! I truly want to succeed in informing not only myself but readers as well of the benefits of marriage because it seems as if in today’s society this custom is overlooked and given a bad rep.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree with Luc’s first statement- I have far to go on my writing, but my research is coming along quite well.

    The good – I have found a lot more information on tattooing than I thought I would. I have found more than enough information on tattoo meanings, quite a bit of information on tattooing procedures/methods, and a great deal about the history of tattoos versus modern tattoos.

    The bad – I need to find book sources. It’s difficult to determine a lot of the websites’ credibility. I am also seeing some slight changes I might need to make to my research question, but I need to wait until I write more of my paper to determine this.

    The ugly – Unfortunately, when I went in to get my tattoo on Saturday, my tattoo artist told me he would not have my design ready until Monday or Tuesday. It is now Monday, and I still have not received his call. Because of the lack of my tattoo, I have not been able to get my observation or my interview yet. While I haven’t gotten my observation of getting a tattoo, I plan on showing friends or asking friends what their reaction is to my tattoo I have now or my idea for my next one. As for the interview, he said he would be able to do it on Wednesday or Thursday when I actually get my tattoo, so I would be able to get it, but I still have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The research journey has been a rather smooth sail for me so far. Due to the fact that I started with a nonexistent knowledge base, researching has been very interesting. Countless sources confirm the same conclusion about resveratrol being an ingredient in wine that produces positive health benefits. It is said to be a very potent antioxidant, cleaning out the body. That’s the good part of my research; the bad news is that I, much like Andres need to work in some type of observation that would benefit the paper positively and significantly. I don’t want to include just some random facts about wine. I have been tossing around the idea of comparing the amount of beer/liquor purchased vs. the amount of wine customers purchase from any given liquor store. The ugly part of the situation is that I haven’t even begun drafting this monster and a portion of that is due on Thursday. It would appear as though I have a lot of learning ahead of me this week. On the upside there has been no shortage of information online, I get this feeling this is a widely researched topic and many people have weighed there research. My goal is to analyze everyone’s opinion and develop a master conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So far my research started out a little slow at first but has really picked up. So far I have been able to get a lot of research done and I have been using my connections to the city of Miami as an advantage in my research to get firsthand knowledge of the living experience in Miami, Florida. I have also been using books and websites like the Historical Museum of Southern Florida.org as second hand sources. My research has given me a new appreciation for my city and has shown me that there are many positive aspects in the building of my home city as there are negative ones. Miami is the city of diversification, and as any major metropolitan area it has been rattled with times of crime and torment as well as times of great jubilance. Miami is the city unlike any other a prime example as what this nation has prided itself on for many years as a melting pot. This city is a physical manifestation that is infused by many cultures as my research has shown. The newest addition and key part of my research is, I interviewed 3 native Miamians; my mother who has lived in Miami for over 20 years, A FSU student who recently migrated to Tallahassee after living in Hialeah a historic Hispanic community, and My Neighbor Nikolaz Tolozah a freshman at Florida International University who currently resides in Miami. I felt it was vital to my research to interview someone who currently resides in Miami that is of the younger generation to have a contrasting view of the information I was able to obtain in the research of my mother Joan Brown who would obviously convey an older more mature view than Nik a first year college student at FIU. The only bad I can see in my research is that I want to put images in my paper and I have not done a lot of research for my images yet but I do not think that will be very difficult. For my ugly I must say that I agree with Aaron Cribb and the rest of our classmates that it is a challenge to maintain a narrow topic for your paper while keeping an audience engaged for 7-10 pages. On the flipside if one is able to successfully write an efficient, engaging, grammatical, well formatted paper then it is a true test of their writing capacity, and would further their writing skills greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The good is I am actually enjoying my research.im learning something new every day I feel that I am making a lot of progress. I have a lot of information and observations on the subject. It is simply amazing that as soon as I started to do my research my throwing skills started to get better I am throwing almost four inches more than I was before. I have diagrams explaining the simple velocity formula for throwing the shot put. The bad to me would be putting all this information into a paper form. I wouldn’t know where to start. Most of my information tells me the exact same thing but in different words. I also have lots of observations but I don’t think I should use all of them. They all show me the same information step by step . making it clear that form is very important when it comes to shot put. The ugly is yes, I have not completed my interview. It’s hard to get in touch with coach and have an interview because he is a very busy man. I am just totally afraid that I am going to run out of time and not be able to interview coach. I’m thinking of some alternative ways of speaking to him or maybe even alternative people to speak with. For example I could email him the questions or I could get another coach to answer the questions like maybe my high school coach.

    ReplyDelete
  20. With my research I have done a lot of watching my friends. I have been watching to see if there is any difference in behavior between the single parent family and the one with both involved. I did notice that one of my friends got “cut-off” recently and he was telling me how he needed to find a job while I on the other hand have had the same job since last June and I am financially on my own. To him this was a shock that his parents are no long paying for anything but for me it is what I’m use to but on the other hand it makes me grateful when my mom is able to give me some extra money. The good part of my research is that I’m able to find a lot of information from various ways. I found things online, in magazines and some books. The bad thing was that some of my information was conflicting. I found some of the sources saying that both parents meant twice the love but there was another source saying that kids from some single parent homes do considerable better than those with both parents. But I have also found that there are multiple factors affecting the outcome of the child. If the home has substance abuse in the home it decreases the success rate while it increases the chances of it happening in the child’s home when it starts a family. But besides those findings I’m really liking the information I have been collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. For the most part my research paper has had many good moments compared to any bad or ugly. What is going on with my research is directly related to what is happening with Andréas. I would recommend that he for his observation maybe go to some depression clinic and ask to just sit in the lobby for an hour or so, they may say no but it would be worth asking. I myself have been encountering many good moments because I have come across a lot of great information. It is all readily available to access and all reliable. I have also completed my successful interview. On the other hand the bad moments would be that I have still not completed an observation. I have just gotten so caught up with my class work and completely forgot anything about this research paper over the weekend. I just like Andréas will have to say that the ugly is my will to procrastinate. I could have done this blog last night or the day before, but instead chose to do it fifteen minutes before class. It seems to be something that I cannot help but do sometimes. This is just like what is happening with my paper. I leave is always down to last minute things; I know that the draft is due on Thursday and I have not even started. It is the ugliest thing that could be happening with such a large assignment, I will have to work on that to make it good in the end.

    ReplyDelete