Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Is IT REALLY THAT HARD TO GET INTO

MED SKOOL??

Text Box:  My name is Stacey R Joseph and I am a freshman at the Florida State University…. And like a good portion of students attending this same university, I plan on going to Medical school. (Most likely The Florida State College of Medicine). Yes, I’ve heard it all, those comments that try to crush your dreams and bring you down, such as: “You know there’s not a high percentage of students that actually make it into Medical School?” and “Do you have a backup plan?” but you know what? I absolutely do NOT let those comments get to me. In fact, I was so curious to know about medical school that I decided to do a research paper on what it really takes to get into medical school.

Yeah I’ve been through those sleepless nights where I stay up all night studying for that stupid Chemistry test, bulging my mind with countless of calculations, equations, and moles. This is because I feel like there is absolutely no space for failure. That beautiful, golden “A” is what I am striving for because that aBominaBle “B” just shuts down my chances of getting into medical school—Wait! What’s that you say?? You mean it’s not just about the grades and the flawless gpa?? There’s more to it??

Text Box: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://trendyafrica.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/medical-symbol.jpg&imgrefurl=http://trendyafrica.com/2009/10/28/difference-between-a-cold-and-h1n1-flu-symptoms/&usg=__YVmu2koXyM4Rilk8GsBcpAxn508=&h=397&w=400&sz=44&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=5W8gTBPGeW6uiM:&tbnh=132&tbnw=133&ei=3NKaTcGdOo6ztweCtMG6Bw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmedical%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D600%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=126&vpy=271&dur=179&hovh=224&hovw=225&tx=133&ty=210&oei=ztKaTfqpEYGXtwfly9jSBw&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0 In fact, there is a whole lot more to it. Getting the perfect grades is not even one of the criteria that medical schools search for. As a matter of fact, that is almost impossible for a lot of students. Phew… I’m glad that is not a requirement. Let’s first start off with a book that I believe everyone who is aspiring of going into medical school should go out and get RIGHT NOW by, Sanford J Brown, called Getting into Medical School.

This book states:

· “It is not where you go to school or what you study”

- What do you think this means?

1. The college that one attends bears only a slight of an influence on the acceptance into medical school

2. One’s field of study is not as important as long as the student is on the premed track

- What does this mean to you?

· “You cannot go to college and major in premed”

- How many of you thought the Premed was a major? (Don’t lie)

1. This is an easy misconception. Many students are bogged down when they realize that their school does not have a Premedical major. That is because premed is a track that that consists of the main courses that students must take in order to fulfill the requirements for medical school.

2. One could be an English major and still go to medical school. As long as this English major takes the classes in the premedical track, he or she is qualified of a spot at the college of medicine.

· “Getting an A in the sciences is yet another myth college students accept to be true”

1. It is okay to receive a B on your transcript. As a matter of fact it is even ok to receive a C on one’s transcript. This is because the institutions are more concerned about the individual student as person, instead of the grades received.

Upholding a strong grade point average is also very important, but according to a Medical Admissions director, it is all about the All Rounded Student.

· The all rounded student consists of a student that participates in and is active in many school organizations

· Double Bracket:  Medical schools like to see students who have had experience in many different areas

- For example:

a) Joining in different organizations (Not only medical)

b) Doing research

c) Having a job

d) Doing Medical internships

f) Holding a role of leadership

g) Doing voluntary service at the hospitals

and many more…

- What are some of your ideas for being active?

Many of these facts came from another important book called Medical School Admission Requirements by The Association of American Medical Schools. This is also another book that I believe all the medical school dreamers should have. It contains a lot of useful information that may greatly help ones path to medical school.

Many people have their own beliefs and own principles that guide them on their track. I believe in these facts an know it can help someone else out with the same dream.

- Stacey Joseph 3/31/11

Description: http://s3.hubimg.com/u/441126_f520.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment