Thursday, April 7, 2011

Process

One word instantly comes to mind when I consider the knowledge gained through this course. It is the overlapping steps that a writer must take in order to create successful composition - Process. Process can be defined as a systematic series of actions that are all attributed to a final product. However, in the writing process, there are specific actions that must be followed in order to have a successful final product. In my experiences, the writing process consists of four steps; outlining, drafting, finalizing, and reflection. Following these steps will undoubtedly result in an improvement in anyones writing. I chose this word because I believe it has had the most impact on my improvement in writing. As a result of learning the proper writing process through this class, I have began to create more drafts that I usually have. The more drafts that a single assignment has, the more perfected the final outcome becomes. Though the writing process taught in this class, I have learned to approach my assignments similar to this...




















Rather than my former plan of attack...


In order for this earth to sustain life, it needs the most valuable substance - oxygen, just as an author needs its most valuable component to bring life to their writing - process. So personally, in any writing situation, process is oxygen. To display just how important process is, Steven Johnson's, "Where Good Ideas Come From" can be examined. He proposes that ideas require a process to develop, just as writing does. According to the researchers of "How People Learn," people go though a process to improve their knowledge. They must excel in their initial learning, followed by learning in different context, and finally they as process builds on any type of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment